You may all think that this is weird, but I have to say... I am Super-Uber Excited!When I found out that the 2010 Hurricane season could include Hurricane Julia, I did a little research. I wanted to know how this whole Hurricane name thing works and I found out some VERY interesting tidbits.
1) Prior to 1979 hurrricanes were only named after Women (stupid sexist hurricane researcher guys!). Since 1979, the names alternate between Male and Female.
2) Hurricanes are named alphabetically from the list in chronological order. So the first tropical storm or hurricane of the year has a name that begins with "A" and the second is given the name that begins with "B." But the list only goes to W, and doesn't include names that begin with a "Q" or "U." Sorry Quinn, Ulrich, Xyla, Yani & Zahara... no Hurricanes for you.
3) There are 6 rotating lists of names. This got me wondering why I'd never heard of Hurricane Julia before... if the names rotate every 6 years, it stands to reason that in my *ahem* 26 years of life, I'd have heard of Hurricane Julia before. Well, here's the skinny....
4) The lists only change when there is a hurricane that is so devastating, the name is retired and another hurricane name replaces it. And in 2004 there were 4 such devastating Hurricanes, so 4 names were retired. Charley was replaced by Colin, Frances was replaced by Fiona, Ivan was replaced by Igor, and get this~!
Jeanne was replaced by Julia.
Hopefully after Hurricane Julia's devastating effects I will be replaced by Hurricane Jacobi.... Let's keep it in the family!

You know, I would have liked this idea as a child. I actually think we should get to change our own names as the hurricanes hit our lives. Great pictures!
ReplyDeleteOh wow, i did not know that. Cool beans. But let's hope it doesn't happen you know, for the ppl involved that is. ;)
ReplyDeleteNah... I still hope it happens. Hurricanes are a fact of life in that area... just like Rain is a fact of life here. So why shouldn't one of these everyday hurricanes be named after Me?!
ReplyDelete